Friday, July 22, 2011

The thing about performance

My third week was more relaxed. My boss was on a business trip and I was alone in the office all day.
Well, I learned cython and made some attempts on integrating pybtex into my sage-citations. Furthermore, I learned about sage's SPKGs and made my first contribution to sage. In addition, I cut metaclasses, because I didn't make them work with cython. (They'll come again, don't worry.)

But I have to write about our performance problems. It is actually the reason, why Michael made me take a look a cython.
It would be very nice, if the citation-implementation would be widespread into sage. You could just use sage as usual, and then say "give me everything", and it will give you back all necessary citations. But to achieve this, we need many sage-functions to be decorated like "this function uses software_z and refers to paper_xy". This makes every function call slower. If you could notice this loss of speed, no-one would use the decorator.
You can easily see the performance-orientation in the code. Some things are actually pretty ugly (I'm always open for suggestions on improvements).

If you don't like talking to me, talk to Burcin Erocal.

No comments:

Post a Comment